Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Journalism Nowadays is...??

"10 Hopefull Thoughts About the Future of Journalism" is really interesting!! Why? Because as a Journalism and Technical Communication major, I learned Journalism as somewhat of the opposite of what the author, David Beard, says about Journalism.
When I saw this--and read it of course--the first thing I thought of was, Technical Communication. Now Journalism can be classified as part of Technical Communcation and also can't be for some.
Anybody can play? Why? People major and get degrees in this stuff. Why is Journalism changing into a job/career/way that doesn't even require higher learning?
This is a Technical Communication "job." Creating a web site is not journalism, it's technical communication. Journalism to me is, yes, technical communication, but requires reporting, interviewing, and actual written documents. TV broadcasting, magazines, and newspapers, those are my type of Journalism.
Some of Beard's thoughts could come true, like the personal interest idea. I like that because when I have an interest in a topic, I go all out on it and actually have a good story.
Embracing technology though? Yes, we are using web sites now for information, and The Torch even has a web site, but the classic newspaper is always the classic way journalism should always be leaning towards.
Journalism has changed, but hopefully not as far as some may think. It may be for the better, but then again it may lead to worse circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that journalism has changed dramatically, but has the journalist changed? I hate that anyone can just put on the journalism hat and write what they want, however the fact that they dig and find news can make anyone a journalist. But like a said in my blog, journalism should really be left up to the pros.

    ReplyDelete